Heart attack/cholesterol on a plate

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jun 29 02:42:38 UTC 2003

HEART ATTACK ON A PLATE
871 Google hits, 584 Google Groups hits

   It appears that "heart attack on a plate" came first, followed by "heart attack on a stick," "cholesterol on a plate," and "cholesterol on a stick."

(DOW JONES)
(517 hits, starting with the LOS ANGELES TIMES, which is not available in full text--ed.)
LIFE
Ulster diet called 'heart attack on the plate'
REUTER
12/26/1988
The Toronto Star
HOLIDAY
D5

BELFAST (Reuter) - Northern Ireland has the worst coronary heart disease rate in the world, and the average breakfast is a good reason why.
The typical breakfast here, often called heart attack on the plate, has enough cholesterol in it to clog the strongest arteries. For many Belfast residents there is no finer start to the day than a plate of fried eggs, bacon, sausages, tomatoes, soda bread, potatoes and mushrooms.

NEWS
Fatty diet stupid? Well, maybe not
Reuters
08/24/1990
Chicago Sun-Times
FIVE STAR SPORTS FINAL
11

SWANSEA, Wales Britain's traditional breakfast of fried eggs and bacon is condemned by doctors as a heart attack on a plate, but it speeds reactions and may improve intelligence, a psychologist said Thursday.

LIFE
Unhealthy lifestyle bigger threat than war in Northern Ireland
By Paul Majendie REUTERS NEWS AGENCY
03/12/1993
The Toronto Star
Final
D15

BELFAST - Northern Ireland has the worst coronary heart disease rate in the world - but the teenage victims of tomorrow refuse to change their lifestyle.
They love fried foods, start smoking at an early age and rarely exercise, according to a survey of 1,000 teenagers there.

Heart attacks are a far more lethal and real threat than one of the world's longest-running guerrilla conflicts in which more than 3,000 people have been killed in the 23-year fight by the Irish Republican Army to oust Britain from Northern Ireland.
The northerners' health troubles begin at the breakfast table with the Ulster Fry, known with typical Belfast black humor as ``the heart attack on a plate.''

Destinations Magazine Travel
TRAVELLING LIGHT The Empire Strikes Back Kippers, sausage and crumbling toast: Breakfast is England's revenge
DON GILLMOR
10/08/1993
The Globe and Mail
P52; (ILLUS)

To face an English breakfast at 7 a.m. is to be confronted with the notions of empire and loss in a visceral way. The combination of eggs, bacon, sausage, fried tomatoes, potatoes, porridge, dry toast and kippers brings out the conqueror. I saw, in the breakfast room of the Alexander Hotel in London, the oversized spirit that had moved Britain outward, colonizing gaily. Halfway through the potatoes, my will flagged, and I could begin to see the folly in trying to rule all before me. The fried tomatoes rebelled, and I was powerless to stop them. The kippers resented my presence and I never truly understood what they were. I sagged under the task of managing bacon and sausages on the same plate. The toast crumbled to dust and I lurched upstairs for an 8 a.m. nap.
The English breakfast is a well-meaning anachronism, a reminder of times when people worked in the mines for five hours before lunch. It would have been a sustaining thing, a comfort. But the number of English miners has fallen to single digits and it seems time to review this tradition. It is a cruel trick to play on the tourist.

"Heart attack on a plate," an Irish friend glibly announced when I was in Dublin a few years ago, a reference to the nutritional disrepute that some of the staples of the English breakfast have fallen into. Some months later, he had a mild heart attack, proving his point.

CHOLESTEROL ON A PLATE
7 Google hits, 6 Google Groups hits

(DOW JONES)
SATURDAY
DATE IN A BOX // WE PACKAGE A DATE OF REAL DESTINATIONS FOR TWO FUN-LOVING IMAGINARY CHARACTERS
JULIA C. NELSON:The Orange County Register
07/26/1997
The Orange County Register
MORNING
F06
(...)
Now we're hungry: This year you try the Australian battered potatoes, drenched in ranch dressing and cheese. Mmm, cholesterol on a plate.

Column
COMPASS
The Avenue hits the end of the road Longtime fans of bacon, eggs and banter mourn today's passing of a Glebe institution
Jeffrey Simpson
01/05/1998
The Globe and Mail
Metro
A2

in Ottawa -- WHEN Albert Mansour cracks his last eggs and flips his final "Al burger" at The Avenue Restaurant today, CBC Radio will be present for the end of a local era. So will Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson and dozens of other regulars who, now that The Avenue is closing, don't quite know where to head for early-morning gossip, newspaper reading and the best cholesterol on a plate in the nation's capital.

Living Food - Eating Out - Themed tucker not so fabulous.
By CHARLOTTE WARD.
09/01/2002
Sunday Mercury
P29
(...)
My meal was cholesterol on a plate. The nachos appeared to have been deep fried and were dripping with grease, while it was as if half a pound of cheddar had been melted on top of the dish, in which I struggled to find the chicken.