E-Bomb and MOAB and GI Jargon; Velvet Cakes (1865, 1872)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Mar 5 08:31:32 UTC 2003

E-BOMB & MOAB & GI JARGON

   Check out these war words at:

http://popularmechanics.com/science/military/2001/9/e-bomb/print.phtml

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/wnt/World/newbomb030225.html

http://www.gijargon.com/jargon.asp

VELVET CAKE (1865, 1872)

   I forgot to look at a few databases.  MOA (Michigan-Books) has 1865 and
1872 velvet cakes:

http://www.hti.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/pageviewer-idx?c=moa;cc=moa;sid=2ef304c55e

343a477e9d6ec6995a552a;q1=velvet%20%20cake%2A;rgn=full%20text;idno=AEL7629.000

1.001;view=image;seq=0167

http://www.hti.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/pageviewer-idx?c=moa;cc=moa;sid=ec9fa4598b

af0dfc732a5388e3fe2874;q1=velvet%20cake%2A;rgn=full%20text;idno=AEL7637.0001.0

01;view=image;seq=0299

NO TIMES FOOD SECTION CORRECTION

   It's been two weeks, and there's been no NEW YORK TIMES correction on
"Lady Baltimore Cake." I guess there never will be, and there's no one to
speak to, as usual.
   Thinking again about the TIMES FYI section has me down.  For one past FYI
item, I received credit.  DARE had directed the guy to me, and I helped him
out immediately, without pay.  A few weeks later, I wrote to him that Gerald
Cohen should have been given credit for Cohen's work on "Smart Alec."  Maybe
that ticked the FYI guy off.  But the fact is that he knew who I was, knew
that it was my work, and purposely decided to screw me and leave off my name.
 Cohen-Popik work has been used in FYI four times in the past six months ("In
like Flynn" also), and we've received credit just once.  And, of course, no
pay.
   For what I've been through with the TIMES for more than a decade, you'd
think maybe someone would be slightly kind.  But that never happens.