Pronunciation of chipotle, - was bin Laden's org in the media

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Mar 6 14:30:13 UTC 2003

At 12:43 AM -0800 3/6/03, Kim & Rima McKinzey wrote:
>>Could you fill us in, those of us who do not (any longer) live within
>>range of Jack-in-the-Boxes or their commercials?  (I do love me some
>>chipotles, though.)
>
>"Jack" is at a small Mexican food stall somewhere, and the woman is
>telling him that what he's just purchased has chipotle sauce.  He
>(and remember he's got that big white ball of a head with the red
>line for a mouth) tries to repeat it,  Chi puh let uhl?  She repeats,
>chi POHT leh.  He says chi POP puh tuhl?  She repeats, more and more
>exasperatedly chi POHT leh. And a boy then tries to teach him.  Jack
>gets more and more tongue tied, mangling it further, and by this time
>the red line of his mouth is a total scribble.  She then says Hasta
>leuego (good grief, I just realized I have no idea how to spell
>that).  He totally mangles that as well.  She finally says, just go
>away.

Of course this is even lamer given how easy it is to pronounce "Chee
POHT lay".  Nobody's asking for the original Mayan -tl- affricate
here, after all, and it's not like you then have to move on to
Popocatepetl sauce.  But does all this imply that Jack in the Box now
has chipotle sauce on their burgers/tacos?   (I remember J-i-t-B for
having the first fast food tacos in the LA area in the mid-60's, back
before Taco Bell.  Great they weren't, but edible, and a step up from
fast food burgers.  Then there was the big e-coli scare that set Jack
back a bit.)

larry