Pine Apple Cheese (1821, 1851)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Mar 12 06:54:42 UTC 2003

   "Pineapple cheese" is in many books on cheese and many food dictionaries.  It is not in the OED.

   This is from the American Periodical Series:

   2 March 1821, AMERICAN FARMER, pg. 49:
   _Pine Apple Cheese._
(A letter is cited which supposedly was written:  "Brighton, 27 September 1811, pg. 392"--ed.)

   17 March 1821, NATIONAL RECORDER, pg 170
   _Pine Apple cheese_
(...)  This was done in 1807, with a cheese made in common form, and in 1811 with a pine apple cheese...

   This is from North American WOmen's Letters and Diaries:

Thomas, Ella Gertrude Clanton. "Diary of Ella Gertrude Thomas, April, 1851"
[Page 89 | Paragraph | Section | Document]

in the Parlour a few minutes until we were carried to our rooms. Pa came in and sat with us until late.... I sat in the parlour for some time after tea. Pa came in. We then went to our rooms where I found some fruit. He had bought me a box of raisins, almonds, Brazilnuts, oranges and a pine apple cheese. Yesterday morning I awoke quite early and dressed. I took breakfast with the passengers and rode up to college in the omnibus with Pa. He gave me ten dollars which came just in the right time.... Wednesday, April 23,

Results Bibliography
Thomas, Ella Gertrude Clanton, 1834-1907, Diary of Ella Gertrude Thomas, April, 1851, in Secret Eye: The Journal of Ella Gertrude Clanton Thomas, 1848-1889. Burr, Virginia Ingraham. Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Press, 1990, pp. 469. [Bibliographic Details] [4-4-1851] S616-D008