publisher for the False Etymology Book

Wendalyn Nichols wendalyn at NYC.RR.COM
Fri Mar 14 04:44:22 UTC 2003

Distributed to libraries, yes; carry more weight with journalists, no. I
spent long enough in management in commercial publishing operations to be
able to say with confidence that journalists pay scant attention to
scholarly publications. You need buzz and hype for journalists to pay
attention to ANY book, let alone one about language, and once you're in the
commercial world, you're competing with pop language writers like Bill
Bryson. You need a hook, something to make it compelling and funny while
still retaining its solid scholarship. You'll get more readers that way,
but you might feel it's not a direction you want to go in. Safire would
plug the book, sure, but I've had direct experience of that not always
making much of a difference (based on sales tracking of books before and
after they were plugged in his column).

Wendalyn Nichols