creative modifications of idiomatic expressions

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Sat Mar 22 20:48:33 UTC 2003

The spell-chucker (as Dr. Mandel calls it) on my son's laptop produced an
example today.  Joel was writing a gag article for the school newspaper at
Rutgers in which he supposedly interviews the President of the University,
and it is obvious from the quotes that the President is trying to get out of
the interview.  Finally the President says, "Call me back later.  I have to
go to the bathroom---too much humus [sic] at these faculty lunches."  So Joel
(supposedly) calls back later and the secretary informs him that "President
McCormick is still in the..."  The intended word was "lavatory" but the
prudish spell-chucker changed it to "laboratory".

Both words fit the context, but they provide much different atmosphere.

Also the spell-chucker's failing to spot the misspelling of "hummus" makes
for a considerable change to the ambience of Rutgers faculty lunches.

                     - James A. Landau (proud papa)