Navy Bean (1856, 1857, 1862)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 31 04:51:17 UTC 2003

   I'd posted "navy bean soup," but not "navy bean."
   OED, under "navy," has a first citation of the 1897 SEARS ROEBUCK CATAL.  It's just that bad.  How's the revision?
   Merriam-Webster has 1856.  I'm looking for that cite.  I might have to go back to my 1906 beans treatise where I found "pinto" so well described.

   Elisha Kent Kane, ARCTIC EXPLORATION (1857)(Making of America-Michigan Books), pg. 94:
   "First, coffee, great comforter to hard-worked men; one part of the genuine berry to three of navy beans;...

   17 May 1862, SATURDAY EVENING POST (American Periodical Series), pg. 8:
   Small white navy beans will be wanted.

   From the North American Women's Letters and Diaries database:

1. Edmondston, Catherine Ann Devereux. "Diary of Catherine Ann Edmonston, December, 1862"
[Page 312 | Paragraph | Section | Document]
is cut primarily deeper than ordinary. I fear it will fill up, but Mr E says not. It works beautifully now at any rate & does its task most effectually. Came home to dinner & then packed some things to be sent to different friends, viz., three bags of hominy (2 bu in each) 1 do Navy Beans, and 2 of potatoes for Sister Frances; a basket with a round of spiced Beef, a ham, a bucket of Butter, a bottle of Cayenne Pepper, one do French Vinegar, some Apples, Navy Beans & Hominy, & a barrel of Sweet & Irish Potatoes & Turnips for Capt Haxall in camp at Garysburg;
2. Edmondston, Catherine Ann Devereux. "Diary of Catherine Ann Edmonston, December, 1862"
[Page 312 | Paragraph | Section | Document]
& then packed some things to be sent to different friends, viz., three bags of hominy (2 bu in each) 1 do Navy Beans, and 2 of potatoes for Sister Frances; a basket with a round of spiced Beef, a ham, a bucket of Butter, a bottle of Cayenne Pepper, one do French Vinegar, some Apples, Navy Beans & Hominy, & a barrel of Sweet & Irish Potatoes & Turnips for Capt Haxall in camp at Garysburg; another a basket with a peice of collared Beef, some Sausage Meat, Cayenne Pepper, & Potatoes for Mr Charles T Haigh Jr, son of our old friend of the same

Results Bibliography
Edmondston, Catherine Ann Devereux, 1823-1875, Diary of Catherine Ann Edmonston, December, 1862, in Journal of a Secesh Lady: The Diary of Catherine Ann Devereux Edmondston 1860-1866. Crabtree, Beth G; Patton, James W.. Raleigh, NC: North Carolina Division of Archives and History, 1979, pp. 884. [Bibliographic Details] [12-1-1862] S330-D027