Oldest word in the English language

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Fri May 2 20:38:13 UTC 2003

Right you are, Vicki!  Maybe the radio linguist meant to say "OW!,"
the nonverbal utterance assumed to be spoken by Grendel after
Beowulf tore his arm off.  Of course, it wouldn't have become an
ENGLISH nonverbal utterance until some piqued Briton who was
actually capable of defending himself (perhaps the historical
Arthur?) began landing blows on an attacking Germanic invader --
or, more precisely, on the English-born SON of a Germanic
invader, since the latter would, presumably, have been exclaiming
in a foreign Germanic tongue. (We should be careful to keep
foreignisms separate from fully naturalized English, of course.)

Anyway, "ow!" gets my vote as "most original word of the first
millennium."

Joanne

Joanne

Joanne