PSAT Glitch

David Colburn colburn at PEOPLEPC.COM
Wed May 14 19:52:21 UTC 2003

> I'm afraid I'm on arnold's side here (though I will refrain from
> referring to arnold pronominally since I first mentioned arnold with
> a possessive). Why does mention by one silly high school teacher make
> this "stand to reason" that other high school teachers might be
> equally silly? Since there is nothing to enforce (except what this
> one person made up), how could "some others" be enforcing it?

What's the the evidence that thi teacher "made up" the rule himself? Mention
by one silly teacher doesn't make it stand to reason that some other
teachers are "probably" (as I qualified my assertion) enforcing the rule.
However, the fact that this teacher was able to produce a couple grammar or
usage guides to support his belief, and was able to convince the ETS that
he's not the only person in the world to believe in this silly rule,
strongly suggests to me that however misguided he is, he didn't simply "make
up" this rule out of thin air, as you suggest.