PSAT Glitch

Bob Haas highbob at MINDSPRING.COM
Wed May 14 20:31:38 UTC 2003

Does anyone know the identity of the "outside panel of experts" that
ETS consulted on this matter?  It appears that this "rule" is indeed
subject to some contention, but it feels like ETS simply and finally
capitulated to this teacher.

Dammit!  If we can't nail down these things, then I don't see what hope
there is for the future!  And by things, I'm referring to English's
rules.  No, make that I'm referring to the rules of English.

BTW, interesting entry at Bartleby from the _The Columbia Guide to
Standard American English_ on this issue:

http://www.bartleby.com/68/17/4817.html

On Wednesday, May 14, 2003, at 03:52  PM, David Colburn wrote:

> What's the the evidence that thi teacher "made up" the rule himself?
> Mention
> by one silly teacher doesn't make it stand to reason that some other
> teachers are "probably" (as I qualified my assertion) enforcing the
> rule.
> However, the fact that this teacher was able to produce a couple
> grammar or
> usage guides to support his belief, and was able to convince the ETS
> that
> he's not the only person in the world to believe in this silly rule,
> strongly suggests to me that however misguided he is, he didn't simply
> "make
> up" this rule out of thin air, as you suggest.

Bob Haas
Department of English
High Point University

Peace, peace is what I seek and public calm,
Endless extinction of unhappy hates.
                                                —Matthew Arnold