Reply to L2 question

Peter Richardson prichard at LINFIELD.EDU
Thu May 15 15:28:26 UTC 2003

A couple of days ago there was a query about language acquisition by the
hearing impaired. Here's a contribution from Alan Yankus at the Oregon
School for the Deaf; I'm expecting another from my colleague Fred Farrior,
who teaches ASL here.

PR

>Peter--

Here is a quick reply from Alan Yankus at OSD. Alan teaches Spanish to the
OSD students.I don't think it quite gives the answer that your colleague is
looking for. Maybe Fred will reply tomorrow. Sandra <

I'm not sure what the question really asks.  The process of acquiring a
second language is a complex one and I'm sure the prof knows that.  As far
as differences between hearing and deaf in that acquisition, the main one is
the dependence on initial auditory input and auditory reinforcement. The
deaf do not have that luxury and that places all or almost all of the burden
for learning on visual input--reading and writing. That is why, it's
commonly believed, that many deaf people have such a struggle with English.
However, the age of acquisition of a first language seems to be even more
important in determining the success of the second language.  This, as you
know, is linked to that prime place in development when synapses are
developed / linked for learning various tasks and the acquisition of any
language, including sign language, from ages 0-5 seems to help all other
languages.
  So, how do deaf people acquire a second language?  They do a lot of
reading and writing--a lot of practice. Immersion is the best method and
that means expressive and receptive, of course.
        Fred may have some other insights and information.  Let me know if
you want more or if I
        misunderstood the question.  Take care.

        Alan