PSAT Glitch

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Thu May 15 21:54:18 UTC 2003

On Thu, 15 May 2003 P2052 at AOL.COM wrote:

#I don't see the relevance of Zwicky's "suppressing the Zs," and, while the
#idea of the "anaphoric-island effect" is interesting, I'm not sure if he
#cites, "[A] serious flautist practices on it everyday," as an example of an
#acceptable sentence since it is even more problematic than the original
#example (The pronoun, "it," can refer only to what a flautist would likely
#practice on, the flute, which is not explicitly stated in the sentence.)

FWIW, I give that sentence no better than a '?'.

BTW... Feh to that! By the way, if I may ask: P2052 at AOL.COM who sign
yourself 'P-A-T', what's your name?

-- Mark A. Mandel