bad phonetics makes the Style Invitational

Mark A. Mandel mamandel at UNAGI.CIS.UPENN.EDU
Wed May 21 14:40:28 UTC 2003

A friend sent this. Google finds plenty of hits for this issue of the
contest, but none including the particular entry he cited as of interest
to me, so I can't give a more exact citation.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 18:33:16 -0400

 >>Winners of the 'Bad sex scene' writing contest

The Washington Post's weekly Style Invitational began as a disreputable
little newspaper contest with crummy prizes and no sense of decency. It
has now become a disreputable little 10-year-old newspaper contest with
crummy prizes and no sense of decency.  The Invitational recently asked
readers to write lines from a very, very bad sex scene in a novel.

        [...]

        [...]

would describe as a dental fricative, but more as an alveolar nasal
followed by a velar stop.
(Toby Hansen, Lyndhurst, Ohio)

---------- End of forwarded message ----------

However, a search for '"dental fricative" moan' turns up two Eric
Clapton pages, both on Russian sites (and identical at a quick glance):

  http://lib.sarbc.ru/koi/SONGS/clapton.txt
  http://moshkow.surgut.ru/library/win/SONGS/clapton.txt

"Moan" is in "Hound Dog", but phonetics? The "Clapton Recording History"
includes this:

December 1969

Give Me Back My Dynamite(Doris Troy)  from DORIS TROY
I've Got To Be Strong(Doris Troy)     from DORIS TROY
Labio Dental Fricative(Vivian Stanshall)  from BEST OF THE BONZOS
Paper Round(Vivian Stanshall)* b-side of "Labio Dental Fricative"

        <<<

Your guess is as good as mine.

-- Mark A. Mandel
   Linguistic Data Consortium, University of Pennsylvania