a piece of peace

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Thu May 22 01:04:46 UTC 2003

yes!  something *not* about the PSAT.  instead, something for
collectors of word confusions.

first, bits of postings from the newsgroup soc.motss, with
real names (other than mine) replaced by arbitrary labels:

------
From: zwicky at Turing.Stanford.EDU (Arnold Zwicky)
Newsgroups: soc.motss
Subject: Re: piece pipe
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 15:40:22 +0000 (UTC)

in article <>, [M1] asks:

 >zwicky at Turing.Stanford.EDU (Arnold Zwicky) writes:
  >> i said my piece
 >  Is this really the correct spelling? I had always thought
 >  the phrase was "said my peace" since it seems vaguely
 >  congruent with the intent -- that is, saying what's on
 >  your mind and then making peace by shutting up. So this
 >  if correct is a surprise. Do you know its roots?

AHD3, entry for PIECE 'portion, part', definition 6:
  A declaration of one's opinions or findings: _speak one's piece_.

it's just a specialization of the word PIECE.  compare a related
specialization in "the pianist played three pieces by chopin".

"peace" gets points for inventiveness, though.

zotling, noting that if you give someone a piece of your mind
  you probably *aren't* giving them peace of mind

------