Text for American Dialectology

Elizabeth Martineze-Gibson martineze at COFC.EDU
Sat May 24 19:16:43 UTC 2003

I will be teaching a special topics course this fall in American
Dialectology. The students have little to no experience with linguistics.
Can anyone recommend texts and or articles? I 'm looking at Allan
Metcalf's book on "How we talk". Are there other books or articles that
you would recommend to supplement that book? There used to be one called
"American Talk: The Words and Ways of American Dialects," but it's been
out of print for some time now. Since they have little to no experience,
my plan is to cover the regional dialects and then talk about social
dialects and the influences of other languages in the U.S.
Any help will be appreciated. Also, if you have any suggestions on
videos, (aside from American Tongues, Yeah, You Rite, and the Story of
English Series) that would be great.

Thanks for your help,

Liz

Elizabeth A. Martinez-Gibson, Assoc. Professor of Spanish
College of Charleston
Dept. of Hispanic Studies
9 Liberty Street
JC Long 310