Rum Raisin Ice Cream (1939); Texas Weiners (1924); Chess Clock (1899)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat May 24 22:16:15 UTC 2003

"ANGEL CAKE" & MISC.

  NYU is open today and tomorrow, and that's where I am now...I went to the Plainfield (NJ) library for "angel cake," but failed to find any mention of Linus W. Dexter's passing (as reported in the WASHINGTON POST).  I actually was hoping for something _more_ detailed.
  I walked from Port Authority bus terminal to NYU, stopping at Chelsea's Wholefoods Market on Seventh Avenue. (http://www.wholefoods.com/company/CHE_main.html)
  There will soon be two new NYC stores, at Columbus Circle (59th Street) and Union Square (14th Street).  There's a nice cheese selection worth recording...

RUM RAISIN ICE CREAM

   Not in OED.  For shame.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
  Display Ad 8 -- No Title; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Dec 16, 1947; pg. 9, 1 pgs

  Display Ad 6 -- No Title; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Dec 9, 1947; pg. 7, 1 pgs

  Display Ad 10 -- No Title; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Dec 2, 1947; pg. 12, 1 pgs

  THE NATION; A Post-War Council ; New York Times (1857-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Jun 4, 1944; pg. E2, 1 pgs

  News of Capital Night Clubs; By Mary Harris.; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Dec 1, 1939; pg. 10, 1 pgs:
   NOVELTIES IN VICTUALS.  _Hall's_.  It's ribs at Hall's this week.  Spareribs and sauerkraut.  Doesn't the thought make your mouth water?  Or short ribs of beef with brown potatoes. Um-m-m.  _Neptune Room_.  Did you ever have a mince-meat muffin?  Or rum raisin ice cream?  Believe us, they're wonderful.  The Neptune Room chefs are always producing novelties that aren't in the cook books.  _Dick's Grill_.  Shrimp creole will tempt and satisfy the most fussy-minded diner.  It's shrimp with a N'Orleans complex.

TEXAS WEINERS/WIENERS

   My bus stopped in Plainfield (NJ) on Watchung Avenue, near East Front Street.  A storefront:

TEXAS WIENERS 1
Since 1924

   However, there was also a neon sign:  TEXAS WEINERS.
   See the ADS-L archives and my post from ROAD FOOD.  Patterson's "Texas Weiners" supposedly date from 1920, but this is close.
   "Texas Weiners"--in New Jersey.  DARE stops at "SK," but the next volume has...?

CHESS CLOCK

  OED has 1888 for "chess timing clock" (in brackets), then 1905.

   6 February 1899, PLAINFIELD DAILY PRESS (NJ), pg. 6, col. 2:
   _CHESS CLOCKS._
_How They are Used in Chess Matches Between Great Champions._
   Hour-glasses or "sand-glasses" were formerly used for the purpose of measuring time at chess matches, but now specially constructed clocks are in general use for this purpose.  These clocks consist of two clocks mounted on a common base, which moves on a pivot, the two clocks therefore being on the arms of a sort of see-saw.  The beam or base is so constructed that when one clock is elevated it stands perfectly perpendicular, whilst the depressed clock lies over at an angle.  But as the mechanism of each clock is so constructed that it only moves when the clock is perpendicular, it follows that when the upright clock is going the depressed clock is at rest. (...)

(There is an illustration of "THE NEW CHESS CLOCK"--ed.)