words of the year

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Sat Nov 22 11:09:15 UTC 2003

The phrase has been around for ages. I believe its roots are in miltary
slang. The first cite in Google Groups is from 17 Sep 1992 by Bob Hall,
(then) Deputy Asst. Sec. of Defense for Public Affairs:

"There will only be a very limited number of people on the ground, the Air
Force team, and some Marine communications people, as well as the helicopter
crew."

I believe it is akin to "ground-truth," with its roots in the idea that what
you actually fine "on the ground" is different from what you see on a map.
Alternatively, it could be from the idea of troops awaiting to arrive by air
or at sea awaiting to come ashore. Differentiating an "on-the-ground"
presence from an "over-the-horizon" one.

It's a difficult phrase to search on because it turns up an overwhelming
number of literal usages.