Yo-Yo, Pansit/Pancit (1961 translation of 1888)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Oct 10 05:38:42 UTC 2003

REMINISCENCES AND TRAVELS OF JOSE RIZAL
Translated and annotated by
Engarnacion Alzona
Manila: Jose Rizal National Centennial Commission
1961

   "Compliments of Engarnacion Alzona" was on the cover.  By the translator's
name was written "Ph.D. Columbia."  I read the book at Columbia University.
   Rizal traveled to the Far East and to Europe.

Pg. 9 (28 October 1878):  I returned home and I went to the orchard to look
for a _mabolo_* to eat.
   *_Mabolo_ or _mabulo_ (_Diaspyros discolor_ Willd.) is a tree that bears
fruit pf the same name.  When ripe, it is fragrant, fleshy, sweet, and satis
fying.
(It's Filipino.  Not in the revised OED.  Google has 2,800 hits, including
some English language dictionaries--ed.)

Pg. 10 (28 October 1878):  I studied my lesson, I drew a little, and
afterwards I took my supper consisting of one or two dishes of rice with an
_ayungin_.*
   *_Ayungin_ is the name of a small (about 12 centimeters long) fresh water,
inexpensive fish.  (_Therapon plumbeus_ Kner.)
(It's Filipino.  Not in the OED--ed.)

Pg. 140 (12 February 1888):  I ate at the house of Mr. Basa at midday; we had
_pansit_.*
   *A dish of Chinese noodles.
(Filipino dish.  Again, not in OED.  About 4,200 Google hits.  Also
"pancit"--ed.)

Pg. 181 (15 November 1891):  In the stores I saw sugar apples, _sotanjun_
(mongo bean noodles), _mike_ (flour noodles), pineapple, bananas, and (Pg.
182--ed.) ginger, just like in the stores in Manila.  We took pictures of some
tombs.  The excursion cost us one peso round trip in a carriage drawn by one horse.
 The market reminded me of the _palenque_.*
   *In the Philippines a market is often called _palenque_ or _palenke_.

Pg. 261 (9 February 1886):  The geese announced to me that I was nearing
Strasbourg, the city of the _foie gras_, a delicacy made of the fat or swollen
liver of geese of which much is sold.

Pg. 304 (27 July 1888):  I got acquainted there with many people, and as I
was carrying a _yo-yo_* the Europeans and the Americans marvelled at the way I
used it as an offensive weapon.
   *A toy, a small disc that fits in the hollow of the hand with a string
attached to it, and can be thrown in any direction by the holder and comes back
to him.
(OED and Merriam-Webster have 1915 for "yo-yo."  From Filipino?--ed.)

Pg. 313 (1888):  Before his departure for abroad, we decided among various
members of the Filipino colony to offer him a modest dinner whose characteristic
dish was _pansit_* prepared by a fellow countryman, Pedro Arcenas, with
_bijon_ and _mique_* obtained from a Filipino family.
   *_Pansit_ is a favorite dish of the Filipinos.  It is made of noodles
called _bijon_, made of rice, or _mique_, made of flour, with pork, shrimps,
chicken, and other ingredients sauteed with garlic and onions.