Yo-Yo, Pansit/Pancit (1961 translation of 1888)

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Fri Oct 10 05:52:08 UTC 2003

>Pg. 140 (12 February 1888):  I ate at the house of Mr. Basa at midday; we had
>_pansit_.*
>    *A dish of Chinese noodles.
>(Filipino dish.  Again, not in OED.  About 4,200 Google hits.  Also
>"pancit"--ed.)

This is in MW3.

>Pg. 181 (15 November 1891):  In the stores I saw sugar apples, _sotanjun_
>(mongo bean noodles), _mike_ (flour noodles), pineapple, bananas, and (Pg.
>182--ed.) ginger, just like in the stores in Manila.  We took pictures of some
>tombs.  The excursion cost us one peso round trip in a carriage drawn by
>one horse.
>  The market reminded me of the _palenque_.*
>    *In the Philippines a market is often called _palenque_ or _palenke_.

"Palenque" seems to be originally Spanish (= "palisade" etc.), as are many
Philippine words.

>Pg. 304 (27 July 1888):  I got acquainted there with many people, and as I
>was carrying a _yo-yo_* the Europeans and the Americans marvelled at the way I
>used it as an offensive weapon.
>    *A toy, a small disc that fits in the hollow of the hand with a string
>attached to it, and can be thrown in any direction by the holder and comes
>back
>to him.
>(OED and Merriam-Webster have 1915 for "yo-yo."  From Filipino?--ed.)

 From the Philippines. From what language ultimately, I don't know:
apparently when the word was adopted into English it was already used in
multiple Philippine languages. At least that's the best information I could
get when I looked into it a while back.

-- Doug Wilson