a-prefixing

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Fri Oct 17 18:04:25 UTC 2003

Sonja, it's still used by rural people in southeastern Ohio.  I expected it
to be used only by older people, and indeed a grad student of mine heard it
in interviews only from age 45+ informants; but she also got a 48% overall
positive response in a questionnaire given to 50 local high school students
(14% reported using it personally, and 34% knew others who used
it).  Another student got similar figures in a survey of age12-60+
informants in Portsmouth, Ohio, down on the Ohio River.  I can send you her
handout if you wish.

I have more results of grammar studies somewhere and will someday compile
all these for our region!  But the structure is definitely alive and well
in this fringe area of the Appalachian chain, so I would expect it to be
even more prevalent in the "core" of the mountains.  You might contact Kirk
Hazen and Clare Dannenberg to see what they've found.