Sno-Cones & Coddies & Pit Beef & Berger Cookies (from Baltimore)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Oct 23 08:17:13 UTC 2003

   Beat me to "sno-cone" but that much (as Maxwell Smart would say).
   During my "Baltimore lemon stick" search, I also ran across "sno-cones"
and "coddies."  DARE has "codfish ball" but not "coddie"?

CITY-SMART GUIDEBOOK
BALTIMORE
John Muir Publications,
Avon Travel Publishing
2000

Pg. 63:  Hometown Specialties
   Pit beef:  A hunk of beef cooked long and slow in a barbecue pit, then
sliced and customarily eaten on a kaiser roll with onions, horseradish, and/or
barbecue sauce.  Find it at any Baltimore street festival, Boog's BBQ at Camden
Yards, and many downtown restaurants.
   Sno-Cones:  Shaved ice flavored with sweet syrup and served in a paper
cone.  Find them in any baltimore neighborhood during the heat of summer.
   Coddies:  Silver-dollar-size fish cakes made from cod, mashed potatoes,
and eggs.  Available at Broadway Market in Fells Point, Attman's Delicatessen,
and Wayne's BBQ.
   Berger Cookies:  Vanilla cookies covered in sinfully rich chocolate fudge.
 Look for them at the Berger's Bakery outpost in Lexington Market, Eddie's
Markets, local Royal Farms convenient stores, and area Giant supermarkets.