So there really are differences between British and American English

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Mon Oct 27 15:03:09 UTC 2003

Dennis (+ ads-l),
The fact remains: The American  gushing socialite told Prince Andrew "You're the best tool we have," completely oblivious of the meaning this would have for the Prince (astonishment) and his body-guards (snickers).  My guess is she was mortified when she learned how her remark was perceived, and I can't imagine a British socialite making that gaffe. At least some trans-Atlantic difference in speech habits must exist to account for the American socialite's faux pas.

Gerald

	-----Original Message-----
	From: American Dialect Society on behalf of Dennis R. Preston
	Sent: Mon 10/27/2003 8:28 AM
	To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
	Subject: Re: So there really are differences between British and American English

	Gerald,

	Anatomical tool (as you so coyly refer to it) is very well-known on
	this side of the Atlantic; perhaps we travel ( or have traveled) in
	different circles. I would have to be convinced that Brit
	tool-talkers have the edge.

	I suspect that the difficulty in your citation is with the bareness
	of the "tool" (if i may). "You're a tool of the (place your
	unfavorite group here)" is, I bet, nonsnickerable on either side of
	the pond. "You're a tool" would get as big a chuckle on either I
	wager.

	dInIs

	--
	Dennis R. Preston