Mullet(haircut) revisited.

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Mon Sep 1 16:45:41 UTC 2003

        I take the Straight Dope poster as describing the haircut itself, which may not necessarily have been known as a "mullet" at that time.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: Sam Clements [mailto:sclements at NEO.RR.COM]
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2003 11:44 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Mullet(haircut) revisited.

If there has been a cite prior to the OED 1994 Beastie Boys, I couldn't find
it.

A poster at the Straight Dope offered this post:

   "First I remember seeing it here in north Texas was about 79-80, often
bleached white and associated with button covered members only jackets,
white dress shirts and thin black leather ties.

Totally newwave fer shur dude!"

I'm not really supposed to post that as a quote.  But knowing the SD, they
want to get the real info.

The poster struck me as more reliable than many.  I would take this at face
value.

All I meant to do by posting was to give a clue to a researcher who might
still be trying to antedate the phrase beyond 1994.

SC