Visiting scholar from Russia has studied political speech

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Tue Sep 9 00:50:17 UTC 2003

    This is for ads-l members who are interested in political speech.
A visiting scholar to the US (Professor Elena Bakumova, from Volgograd, Russia)
has recently completed her dissertation on political discourse, and
perhaps an exchange of ideas/information with American scholars would
be mutually beneficial.

    Her dissertation is titled _Role Structure of Political Discourse_
(Volgograd, 2002), and in response to a query of mine she explained
briefly:
"I have written my PhD thesis on the role structure of political
discourse, and that included the analysis of the roles and the types
American and Russian politicians play, and also the analysis of the
political portrait as a genre of political discourse."

    I'm sure she could benefit from the knowledge of ads-l members on
political speech, and we in the US could benefit from the insight
that Russian scholars bring to this subject too.

    Anyone interested may contact her directly (e-mail address:
bakev at yandex.ru).
Her snail-mail address is: Professor Elena Bakumova/School of
American and International Studies, Ramapo College of New Jersey, 505
Ramapo Valley Road, Mahwah, NY 07430.

Gerald Cohen