Choad/Chode--origin?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Sep 15 04:14:51 UTC 2003

At 11:32 PM -0400 9/14/03, Douglas G. Wilson wrote:

>>So, fwiw, I shall stick with Navajo and _chodis_.
>
>Well, Navajo's hard for me to deal with, but I looked up "penis" in the big
>Young and Morgan Navajo book: several words are listed but nothing like
>"chodis". After a little rumination, though, I wonder whether this is a
>Navajo slang adoption from Spanish, where "chorizo" = "sausage" is used as
>slang for "penis" .... Navajo has no "r", apparently. [Which has no bearing
>at all on whether it's related to "choad" AFAIK..]

FWIW, I knew someone whose name was Enrique but was called "Chori"
supposedly because of his fondness for sausage.  No secondary taboo
meaning to affect this as far as I know, but this was L.A., pretty
far from Navajo country.  And as Doug is alluding to, flap [r]s and
stop [d]s are fairly close.

Larry