Relative Nicerness: Back Bay Hilton v. Sheraton

Tue Sep 30 17:18:00 UTC 2003

In a message dated 9/30/03 12:08:11 PM, JMB at STRADLEY.COM writes:

>         Expedia.com currently quotes a rate of $139/night at the Back Bay
> Hilton for Jan. 8 - 11.  Expedia gives the Hilton three stars, the Sheraton
> four.

Clearly, this proves that Expedia is not a very good buy, then, since the
Hilton's own web site is $40 cheaper.

Expedia does not anywhere that I can find EXPLAIN its star system or indicate
who is responsible for assigning the ratings or give any indication of what
the criteria are. One wonders if the chief reason they like the Sheraton better
than the Hilton is that the Sheraton allows them a discount that Hilton does
not. At any rate, a reading of the descriptions of the two hotels seems to
indicate little difference between the two, except that the Sheraton is a lot
bigger ("the largest hotel in Boston").