"If you can't say anything good" (1922) (or, 1942's BAMBI beaten!)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Apr 3 15:15:52 UTC 2004

   We've discussed this before.  "If you can't say something/anything
nice/good, don't say anything at all."  It's widely attributed to BAMBI (1942).
   However, there's earlier.  That rotten Thumper!  That dirty, no-good,
lying little...sorry about that.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Bridgeport Telegram - 10/29/1947
...ANO MANNERS Hardlngite SAYs IF YOU CAN'T SAY Nice Things About School,
DON'T SAY.....have been taught that IF YOU CAN'T SAY something nice Rbout people,
DON'T It at.....wore forced to smoke, burn their banners: DON'T tell us that
any one can force YOU to.....feeding YOUr own sensitive little ego. YOU SAY
no. Then why all the complain-, ing about..
Bridgeport, Connecticut   Wednesday, October 29, 1947  622 k

Bridgeport Telegram - 10/29/1947
...have been taught that IF YOU CAN'T SAY SOMETHING nice Rbout people, don't
It at.....ANO MANNERS Hardlngite SAYs IF YOU CAN'T SAY Nice Things About
School, Don't SAY.....a game, and being a poor loser, had to find SOMETHING to
complain about. A sportsman YOU.....a SAYing of the Jesuits: deal of good can be
done in this world IF one is not loo..
Bridgeport, Connecticut   Wednesday, October 29, 1947  622 k

Appleton Post Crescent - 5/23/1960
...show with some food advice, "IF YOU CAN'T SAY Good About YOUr Neighbor,
DON'T SAY.....padi do e anything for YOU Slop tefort they can develop when
applied at first sign of.....The Four Clips sang comedy tunes such as DON'T Go In
the Lion's "Swingin' Doors" and.....and no pay check: proved that I was wrong.
Can I get insurance to cover hosital and..
Appleton, Wisconsin   Monday, May 23, 1960  586 k

Frederick Post - 11/6/1943
...which (See NEW GYM, Page 8) IF YOU Can 't SAY SOMETHING Good Occasionally,
a man on.....CAN'T stop a man from talking. However, we can do SOMETHING to
combat his talk. The rest.....We may even be able to discourage Joe, IF SAY
good things for the WAC, and SAY them.....opinion is worth nothing, and
therefore, he CAN'T be taken seriously. all recognize the..
Frederick, Maryland   Saturday, November 06, 1943  226 k

Gettysburg Times - 9/20/1922
...INTHE COOLER FOR A FEW WEEKS? IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING GOOD ABOUT PEOPLE
DON'T SAY.....handbag between ville and Gettysburg. Owner can have j same by
proper identIFication and.....perhaps to .satisfaction. Which leads us to SAY
that IF more people took greater interest.....ANYTHING YOU MEAN, j SAY IT WITH
I FLOWERS Kr A.U..
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania   Wednesday, September 20, 1922  708 k
   Page 5, cols. 2-7 cartoon:
DOINGS OF THE DUFFS
Wilbur Does a Little Talking
BY ALLMAN
   Panel three balloon:
THEY OUGHT TO TAKE A BUNCH OF YOU OLD HENS AND LOCK YOU ALL UP IN THE COOLER
FOR A FEW WEEKS!  IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING GOOD ABOUT PEOPLE DON'T SAY
ANYTHING!

(Panel four.  His wife hits him on the head with a flowerpot, saying, "YOU
MEAN, SAY IT WITH FLOWERS!"--ed.)