intransitive "hail as" = 'be; count as'

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Apr 19 16:06:58 UTC 2004

At 11:56 AM -0400 4/19/04, Mark A. Mandel wrote:
>Over my morning coffee I was startled by this sentence:
>
>"She currently hails as chief librarian of the Moorland-Spingarn
>Research Center..."

Amazing!  Just what we've always wanted, a new copula.

Isn't language wonderful?  There are all these new constructions or
construals out there, just dying to be picked up on.  1620 hits, and
I'd never heard one use of this either.  Next time someone asks me
how I'm doing, I'll tell them I hail as fine.  (Well, actually, it
does seem to be a bit more constrained than that, as Mark points out.)

Larry