malaprop amongst the flowers

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Apr 30 14:02:42 UTC 2004

At 5:38 PM -0700 4/29/04, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
>On Apr 29, 2004, at 2:04 PM, Barbara Need wrote:
>
>>...but what
>>caught my eye was the following sentence:
>>
>>>And anyone else will never, in fact, look at this review.
>>
>>Doesn't this break some rule about the scope of _any_ and negation?
>
>no.  universal and "free choice" _any_ occur freely

Well, not quite *freely*, since other variables are operative
(*Anyone (else) didn't look at the review last night); but the
context above, like Arnold's below, contains a modal and is
"non-episodic" (i.e. doesn't invoke a specific one-time event), and
so it does allow free-choice "any" (which is arguably not quite a
universal--cf. "Take any card"--but often ends up being fairly close
to one).

Larry