Military jargon

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Wed Aug 18 12:46:19 UTC 2004

When, I was in the Army (late '50's to early '60's), it was possible to
pay another G.I. to perform a a given duty for you when performing that
duty yourself would have been inconvenient or when you just didn't feel
like being bothered with it. In my unit, the person who paid was said
to "sell" the duty and the person who accepted payment was said to
"buy" the duty, e.g.

Q. I'm selling [willing to pay you to work] my burn-bag detail. Want it?
A. Yeah. I'll buy it from you for [do it for you if you pay me] ten
dollars.

I assume that paying someone else to do your work was an Army-wide
custom. But was this particular style of language in common use?

-Wilson Gray