Come with; was Re: Natural-Born Lover : Words

Dan Goodman dsgood at VISI.COM
Mon Aug 30 05:37:08 UTC 2004

Date:    Sun, 29 Aug 2004 15:40:18 -0500
From:    Barbara Need <nee1 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU>
Subject: Come with; was Re: Natural-Born Lover : Words

How widespread is come with? I first encountered it in Milwaukee
(1982) and then heard it in Chicago (after 1984). I assumed (and was
told) it was related to the German Kommst du mit?

It's very common in the Twin Cities and at least some other parts of
Minnesota.

In one mystery by Joe Gores (I don't recall which one), I was startled
to encounter a character saying "I'm coming with."   The novel was part
of a series set in the San Francisco area; the speaker was a Black
woman, native to the Bay Area, middle-class.
Gores was born in Rochester, Minnesota.

--
Dan Goodman
Journal http://www.livejournal.com/users/dsgood/ or