Slangfest

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Mon Aug 30 21:41:05 UTC 2004

I know I should check HDAS and OED first, but our new library is a
15-minute walk away instead of next door like the old one, I'm stuck at my
computer right now, and in any case I hope to learn more from (and be more
entertained by) replies to a posting to this list.

In a column about the Swift Boat attack ads and Kerry's response to them,
David Gergen says: "A quarter-century ago, they [the Swift Boat Veterans'
allegations] would have faded away without much discussion.  But in an age
of slangfests on radio and cable news, it was inevitable that conservative
hosts would blow up the story" (The Oregonian, 8/30/04).

I did search for the word on Google, which found "about 12" occurrences
(and which asked me if I meant "swingfest" and helpfully offered some links
to swinging singles and couples sites*).  Some are clearly literal nonce
coinages--e.g., a book review which calls HDAS a "slangfest."  In most
cases the meaning is hard to pin down from the context, but some of them
COULD mean what Gergen apparently means--i.e., something like a slugfest,
but with words instead of physical blows.

This is a totally new word to me.  Has anybody else run across it?

Peter Mc.

* Are these the "swing voters" we hear so much about these days?? :)