"Would you buy a used car from this man?" (1960)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Dec 1 07:22:13 UTC 2004

The digitized Los Angeles Times is now up to mid-1968. No surprises so far.
About ten more years and I'll have what I want.

"Would you buy a used car from this man?" is not in the American Heritage
Dictionary of American Quotations. Fred Shapiro probably has this, from  both
the LA Times and NY Times.

_Democrats,  in Cloud of Doubt, Tormented by Loyalty Conflict; RESTON REVIEW
_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=000000446680032&SrchMode=1&sid=8&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1101884651&clientId=65882)
JAMES RESTON. Los Angeles Times  (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.:
Jul 12, 1960. p. A (2 pages)
Pg. 5:
For all these reasons, the Democrats in Los Angeles are full of doubts.  They
are unified in their dislike and distrust of Nixon. The most popular joke  of
the convention among the Democrats is one of those glowering pictures of
Nixon, with a caption reading: "Would you buy a used car from this man?"

_Democrats  in Doubt; Convention Will Nominate Kennedy, But Great Issues
Cause Conflicts _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=1&did=000000099753951&SrchMode=1&sid=8&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1101884651&client
Id=65882)
By JAMES RESTONSpecial to The New York Times..  New York Times (1857-Current
file). New York, N.Y.: Jul  12, 1960. p. 21 (1 page)