trapshooting slang

Wed Dec 1 17:04:42 UTC 2004

"Trapshooting - The Sport Alluring," Baseball Magazine, March, 1915, No. 5,
p. 95

"For instance, a shooter might describe the results of five shots something
after this fashion: "Yes, sir, I toed the firing line, put the iron to my
shoulder, drew a humdinger from the box and killed it.  The second saucer
was a lazy boy, flying straightaway, but I went to sleep and the pigeon
nested in the grass. The next mud pie sailed to left-quarter, but the old
pea-shooter simply knocked the fuzz
off. The fourth dickey bird was smothered as soon as it was hatched. Then a
cripple fluttered out and died. Next came a right-wheeling streaker and I
pulverized it." "