hip hop and Barry Popik

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Wed Dec 1 23:46:10 UTC 2004

I don't really think the term hip hop became known to the general public in 1983 (I had never heard it until 2 or 3 years ago). I think it would be better to say that it was introduced to the general public in 1983.

>>> Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL 12/01/04 01:37PM >>>
Barry's web page on Hip Hop:

"The name  hip hop  probably emerged in 1979 for the lyric in the popular
song  Rapper s Delight.  . .  .The term  hip-hop  became known to the
general public in 1983. "

I don't disagree with that, but think some intermediate credit should be
given to Debbie Harry's group "Blondie" for their 1981 song "Rapture", which
was the first place this white boy heard the term, and which was the first
rap song to enter the white mainstream.