"Long, Tall Texan"

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Thu Dec 2 20:59:17 UTC 2004

On Dec 2, 2004, at 10:32 AM, Mark A. Mandel wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel at LDC.UPENN.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "Long, Tall Texan"
> --------
>
> Wilson answers one question and raises another:
>>>>>>
> On some other occasion, she mentioned that,
> when she was a child, kids said, "Well, you thought like Lit, 'cause
> you fart when you shit!" when someone said, "But I thought...!" So, I
> was for sure that adults knew, at most, those three words and what they
> meant.
>  <<<<<
>
> So who is Lit?
>
> -- Mark
> [This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]

Hm. My guess is that it's just a "name" pulled out of someone's ass to
make the rhyme. FWIW, I was in the Army when I first heard that phrase.
In those days, the person using the phrase pantomimed the action of
pulling something out of his ass. It was killingly funny! ...Uh, it's
not? Well, maybe you had to have been there.;-)

-Wilson