more BVD's

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Fri Dec 3 02:27:49 UTC 2004

On Dec 2, 2004, at 7:44 PM, sagehen wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       sagehen <sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM>
> Subject:      more BVD's
> --------
>
> BVD also produced a lightweight cotton (or linen) union suit  cut in
> the
> fashion of a toddler's sunsuit: collarless, sleeveless,
> button-down-the-front & with loose, short pants. No dropseat, but a
> vertical, buttonless fly in back as well as front. The material  was a
> thin, fine sort of dimity with a  grid of heavier warp & weft threads.
>  My
> father wore this style of underwear year 'round. He died nearly sixty
> years
> ago; I've no idea whether these are still being made.
> A. Murie

I had to wear that during the summer. Oddly enough, I don't think that
I ever knew a name or a slang term for that kind of underwear, probably
because my brother and I were the only kids wearing it and we didn't
care to advertise that fact. I longed for the day when I would finally
be allowed to wear boxers and a tank-top undershirt like my father.

-Wilson Gray