Phonetic alphabets

Fri Dec 3 23:36:37 UTC 2004

Barbara Need <nee1 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU> wrote:

I just got off the phone with someone offering me a free subscription
to an IT trade magazine, and she had to spell something for me. What
I HEARD her say was, "e as in I". Of course, what she meant was "e as
in eye". In what variety/varieties of English are these not
homophones?
 <<<<<

That is so incredibly counterproductive I can hardly believe it... um, which
is what "incredibly" means, mumble mumble...

Anyway, it reminds me of the following dialogue, which I'm sure has never
occurred. I hope. If THAT could happen...

--------

Directory Assistance, may I help you?

Yes, please, I'd like the number of the Caseway Insurance Company.

Would you please spell that?

Certainly. That's
        C as in cue
        A as in are
        S as in sea
        E as in eye
        W as in why
        A as in aye
        Y as in you

(pause) One moment, please, while I connect you to my supervisor.

--------

-- Mark A. Mandel
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]