x-lockers

Bruce Hunter bhunter3 at MINDSPRING.COM
Wed Dec 8 09:40:48 UTC 2004

--- Original Message -----
From: "Jonathan Lighter" <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM>
> Thanks, Bruce. This sense of "blivet" is new to me. It started out as a joke meaning "six pounds of crap in > a five-pound bag."  Later it became a giant air-dropped supply bladder. So a fuel tank is no great leap.     > Could you put a more precise date on this for us?

I heard it in 1970, if memory serves.

Another term that just popped into my head for no apparent reason is "binnacle list". I can't quite put a definition to it, but my sense is that a person might be said to be "on the binnacle list" after participating in sick call. Perhaps that person would be assigned light duty and be unavailable for regular duties, thus making that person useless to the supervisor?

Bruce Hunter