A newly popular word - I am a wing nut.

Kathleen E. Miller millerk at NYTIMES.COM
Thu Dec 9 14:49:48 UTC 2004

Safire wrote a column on it during the three month stint he didn't have a
researcher (God knows how he's going to write the language column after
Jan. when all he has is an executive assistant. (Both Elizabeth and I are
soon out of jobs.))

There was a lot in the "wing nut" column that was left out, or incorrect.

But, my point, I got letters from a whole bunch of people, including my
father, chastising me that I should have known better, being a member
myself, of the Gold Wing Road Riders Association, and, therefore, a "wing nut."

(Yes, that means I ride a motorcycle).

Kathleen E. Miller
Assistant to William Safire
The New York Times