More on Wolof "hip"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Dec 9 20:11:11 UTC 2004

At 12:19 PM -0500 12/9/04, Baker, John wrote:
>         Excellent article, Jesse.  I took a look at the Slate reader
>comments, which on Slate are called the Fray.  While most of them
>have little of value to contribute, I thought that two of them, from
>speakers of Wolof, were particularly useful, and I reproduce them
>below.  The first one has some particularly useful information about
>Wolof, and the second, while not as insightful, has some interesting
>speculations concerning other possible derivations.  Jesse has
>already responded to the point about Wolof orthography, but these
>posters have further information concerning actual Wolof
>pronunciations.
>
>John Baker
>

>Subject: Crying Wolof
>From: raffi73
>Date: Dec 9 2004 3:53AM
>
>This Wolof speaker would like to correct something in Jesse
>Sheidlower's article. I'm not contesting the central point of the
>article and I agree that the Wolof origins of hip are more than
>dubious.
>
>But Sheidlower wrote "the word in question is actually spelled
>Xippi", which doesn't make much sense. Wolof is essentially an oral
>language. It has started being written in the 20th century, but
>whatever spelling you see is just a transliteration. The "X" in
>Xippi is pronounced like a Spanish Jota, as in Juan. The word can
>also be spelled "hippi" and "khippi", with the same pronunciation.
>You really cannot draw conclusions from the transliteration of an
>oral language, which can vary a lot according to the country.
>Example : Wolof is mostly spoken in Senegal and Gambia, respectively
>a former French colony and a former British colony. Because several
>letters, for example "j", "i" and "e", are pronounced differently in
>French and English, most common Wolof surname are spelled very
>differently in the two countries, despite the fact that they are
>pronounced exactly the same way : Diop in Senegal = Joop in Gambia,
>N'Diaye in Senegal = N'Jie in Gambia, Diouf in Senegal = Joof in Ga!
>  mbia.

The comments above are reasonable, as we've been discussing--the
question for a pro-Wolovian is whether the evidence is being skewed
by citing /xip(pi)/ in the "hip-" form.  The main problem, as Jesse's
piece makes clear, is the lack of direct evidence for the
transmission.  As for the comments below, this really does illustrate
the danger of crying Wolof--the plausible babies (maybe "dig"?) are
thrown out with the obfuscatory bathwater.  It would help DannyBoy's
case if he picked up a dictionary with decent e(n)tymologies, where
he would learn that inter alia "OK" is from "oll korrect" (and not
from Old Kinderhook, Choctaw, *or* Wolof), that "fetch" is from Old
English, which didn't have much of a Wolof substrate, that "goober"
is indeed Out of Africa, but from Bantu ngubi (in fact if he checked
the AHD4 entry for "goober" he'd find a few more English words that
can be plausibly derived from African sources) rather than Wolof
"ger-teh" (?), that "toke" is more likely from Span. toccare, etc.
etc.

Larry