Pronunciation of "Lowth" (Was Re: Phonetic alphabets)

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Fri Dec 10 14:07:03 UTC 2004

From:    FRITZ JUENGLING <juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US>
: Alan Baragona wrote:

:: Since we're talking about pronunciation of Alamo hero and TV
:: character Jim Bowie versus rock star David Bowie, here's a similar
:: phonetic question.  Howdo you professional linguists pronounce the
:: name of the 18th-centuryprescriptive grammarian, Bishop Lowth?

: At first glance I'd rhyme it with 'coo' but then remember the 18th C
: writer William Cowper...

Because of that widespread silent <th> in English, i suppose?

<beat>

More seriously, i've always gone with 'loathe', just 'cause i don't like
what he did to the study of the language.

<beat, again>

Well, not *entirely* seriously, i guess, but seriously enough that that's
what i do.

<snip>

David Bowie                                         http://pmpkn.net/lx