Singular "yez"?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Dec 10 17:41:40 UTC 2004

At 11:21 AM -0500 12/10/04, Alice Faber wrote:
>>>From a posting in alt.folklore.urban:
>
>>In the Philly area (I am a recent immigrant) I swear that
>>there is a singular pronoun "yez". My family thinks I'm
>>hallucinating, or that maybe it's the Brooklynese "youse".
>>Neither is true. "Youse" is plural and is quite distinct
>>from what I'm hearing, e.g. "would yez like some coffee?"
>>AM I hallucinating?

Wonder if this is the same phenomenon as singular y'all, much
discussed here.  As I recall, there was no consensus on whether
so-called singular y'all generally involves an implicit reference to
others in some contextually understood set to which the singular
addressee belongs (e.g. 'you and your family', 'you and the horse you
came in with') or whether there's a regional and social
differentiation on this.

Larry