"Let's be careful out there"; "Chu Chee" Tofu

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Dec 13 06:11:06 UTC 2004

LET'S BE CAREFUL OUT THERE

Google Answers was asked about "stay safe out there" and responded with
"let's be careful out there," a catchphrase of HILL STREET BLUES.

I don't know if Fred Shapiro has it on his list of television catchphrases.
There are isolated uses before the show, but it definitely appears to
popularized by the show.

(I'm on AOL 9.0 Security edition. I hope this post doesn't get overly  messed
up with HTML coed again. When I copy Proquest and Newspaperarchive, it
sometimes comes out a mess.)

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS) ("careful out there")
     1. _Sportscripts_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=000000415264021&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1102915
312&clientId=65882)
PAUL ZIMMERMAN. Los Angeles Times  (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.:
Jul 19, 1946. p. 8 (1  page)
2. _Redskins  Revert to 'Form' But Survive Giant, 16-13; Redskins Slip by
Giants, 16-13  _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=1&did=000000151866232&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1102915312&client
Id=65882)
By Paul Attner Washington Post Staff  Writer. The Washington Post
(1974-Current  file). Washington, D.C.: Dec 14, 1980. p. D1 (2 pages)
3. _The  Upbeat Goes Down Home; A New Orchestra Is Born in Hagerstown Birth
of an  Orchestra _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=2&did=000000125073452&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=12&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1102915312&cl
ientId=65882)
By Lloyd Grove. The Washington Post (1974-Current file). Washington,  D.C.:
Nov 15, 1982. p. C1 (2 pages)
4. _Fatal  Va. Sport: 10 Killed While Hunting Since June; Hunting Deaths In
Va. Rise  to 10 Since June _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=3&did=000000125101442&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=110
2915312&clientId=65882)
By Mike Sager Washington Post  Staff Writer. The Washington Post
(1974-Current  file). Washington, D.C.: Dec 1, 1982. p. B1 (2 pages)
5. _Bond  Markets on Solid Footing at Start of '83_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=4&did=000000126680492&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=12&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD
&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1102915312&clientId=65882)
By  James E. Lebherz. The Washington Post  (1974-Current file). Washington,
D.C.: Jan 2, 1983. p. F10 (1 page)
6. _Hill  & Renko, Being Careful Out There; Television's Best of the "Blues'
Warren and Haid Kings Of the Hill _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=5&did=000000126847572&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=12&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=H
NP&TS=1102915312&clientId=65882)
By Tom  Shales. The Washington Post (1974-Current  file). Washington, D.C.:
Apr 28, 1983. p. D1 (3 pages)
7. _Out  on the Hustings and Preaching to the Faithful_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=6&did=000000119501385&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType
=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1102915312&clientId=65882)
By  STEVEN R. WEISMANSpecial to The New York Times. New York Times
(1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: May  11, 1983. p. A18 (1 page)
8.
_Michael  Conrad, 58; Won Emmy for Role In 'Hill Street Blues'_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=7&did=000000112336600&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=10&VInst=PR
OD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1102915312&clientId=65882)
By PETER KERR. New York Times  (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Nov 23,
1983. p. B4 (1 page)

Michael Conrad, the actor who won two Emmys for his  portrayal of the tough,
paternal Sgt. Phillip Esterhaus on the television  police drama "Hill Street
Blues," died of cancer yesterday in Los Angeles.  He was 58 years old.

Over the years, Mr. Conrad gained a wide variety of  movie and television
credits, but he may be best remembered for his role  as the Hill Street police
sergeant who ended his morning briefing by  warning fellow officers, "Let's be
careful out there."

9. _Michael  Conrad, 58, Sgt. Esterhaus on 'Hill Street Blues,' Dies_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=8&did=000000126163712&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=10&VI
nst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1102915312&clientId=65882)
The Washington Post (1974-Current file). Washington,  D.C.: Nov 23, 1983. p.
C6 (1 page)

(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
     _ Chronicle Telegram _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=0Hv62RLHvjKKID/6NLMW2mQ2foZaR2X3pyGQiIp5S/cjbtL4V7NJxQ==)  Tuesday, May 12,
1987 _Elyria,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:elyria+careful+out+there+AND)   _Ohio_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:ohio+careful+out+there+AND)     ...finger at them and warned,
"Let's be CAREFUL OUT THERE." But "Hill Street  the.....that produced that line,
was never CAREFUL. In the  conformist business of..
_Gettysburg Times _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=thiGuD36VKiKID/6NLMW2is6l361M/qX7Kp3or3QS7DR6jnoRQBjxw==)  Tuesday, December  20, 1983
_Gettysburg,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:gettysburg+careful+out+there+AND)   _Pennsylvania_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:pennsylvania+careful+out+there+AND)     ...of the
"Hill Street Blues"  to be "CAREFUL OUT THERE." was 58; Joan  Hackett.....on
their plates, and then marched OUT singing "Santa  Claus is Com ing to..
_Walla Walla Union Bulletin _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=9cbxNIiVHYuKID/6NLMW2m1v/RD2tU89ZqXTOWKsd6kQFRjaXwbYHkIF+CsZYmrz)  Thursday,
April 13,  1967 _Walla  Walla,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:walla_walla+careful+out+there+AND)  _Washington_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:washington+careful+out+there+AND)
...a tremendous three under  par litlle CAREFUL OUT THERE." for the to
defeat.....on two singles until THERE were two OUT in the  ninth. Then singles by
Joe..
_Frederick Post _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=9qnHh8I+Pl6KID/6NLMW2rtAGhPpWwUi7qXJC88TBtJ8Q3ajBxPlt0IF+CsZYmrz)  Friday, October 29,
1982 _Frederick,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:frederick+careful+out+there+AND)   _Maryland_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:maryland+careful+out+there+AND)     ...his charges at
roll call,  "let's be CAREFUL OUT THERE." ROBERT P. STUDER.....a  lot of angry
black Vietnam veterans OUT THERE ready to take  to the streets..
_Daily Intelligencer _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=Z8Lm5Wnx+nuKID/6NLMW2i/N0wuIy6t+IiuISGk0jgsDy53W1x5v3kIF+CsZYmrz)  Friday, October
16,  1987 _Doylestown,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:doylestown+careful+out+there+AND)   _Pennsylvania_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:pennsylvania+careful+out+there+AND)
...have told their sons more  than to "be CAREFUL OUT THERE." I know only one
who.....changes, at the same time was carrying OUT a vicious as-  sault against
the..
_Manitowoc Herald Times _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=Ga2xMtpV76yKID/6NLMW2vLiJZTWHh0SrIxs5RhYXZ2D0UP1hOQusUIF+CsZYmrz)  Thursday,
April 13,  1967 _Manitowoc,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:manitowoc+careful+out+there+AND)   _Wisconsin_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:wisconsin+careful+out+there+AND)     ...which
should make the boys  a little CAREFUL OUT THERE. Htra W-TJmw,
Thun.....October .the fellows are going to go OUT to reclaim that  chamnionship..
_Daily Gleaner _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=9qnHh8I+Pl6KID/6NLMW2p+U7EtduKo29p1KYavnlqIyxDf0AMLct0IF+CsZYmrz)  Monday, November  25,
1985 _Kingston,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:kingston+careful+out+there+AND)   _Kingston_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:kingston+careful+out+there+AND)     ...they say on "Hill
Street  "hey... .be CAREFUL OUT THERE." Jamaican Dolls  A..
_Nevada State Journal _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=Ga2xMtpV76yKID/6NLMW2kA7noqyTXyyN2UgN7xjJpvHCS7I54ojPkIF+CsZYmrz)  Friday, July
22,  1966 _Reno,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:reno+careful+out+there+AND)   _Nevada_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:nevada+careful+out+there+AND)     ...only one worry after
splashdown. "Be CAREFUL OUT THERE now, they told  the.....We don't want anybody
getting hurt OUT THERE." They  brought back with them..
_Gettysburg Times _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=thiGuD36VKiKID/6NLMW2vMhxstaWhp/oUQ2C7Mgl03PnhTjBcMNqA==)  Friday, October 16,  1987
_Gettysburg,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:gettysburg+careful+out+there+AND)   _Pennsylvania_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:pennsylvania+careful+out+there+AND)     ...have told
their sons more  than to "b-e CAREFUL OUT THERE." I know dnly one  whjo.....of
any more offensive arms to Cuba. OUT of the past favor  of Plan B for the..
_News _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=9qnHh8I+Pl6KID/6NLMW2txpGaSPLSh9INNsPG+jrttR2EB2YPEOhUIF+CsZYmrz)  Thursday, February  05, 1981
_Frederick,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:frederick+careful+out+there+AND)   _Maryland_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:maryland+careful+out+there+AND)     ...here and wraps up with
a  reminder CAREFUL OUT THERE. If you want sitcom.....Or  take Johnny LaRue
(Kiel a burnt-OUT 34-year-old hot  dog.plainclothesman..
_Frederick Post _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=WSgtrs8BeYeKID/6NLMW2jAVIkxfGcp9zh2kNSW9YD4455wPLPq9cEIF+CsZYmrz)  Wednesday, June  28,
1939 _Frederick,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:frederick+careful+out+there+AND)   _Maryland_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:maryland+careful+out+there+AND)     ...good control. He
should  have been more CAREFUL OUT THERE." Redlegs Fatten  Up.....Art Jacobs
of Buffalo. Well, he was OUT THERE  shagging flies when he slipped..
_Times Recorder _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=Ga2xMtpV76yKID/6NLMW2uAdQoXODeomkOIJtKll9sJdUzKL/Ifdk0IF+CsZYmrz)  Friday, July 22,
1966 _Zanesville,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:zanesville+careful+out+there+AND)   _Ohio_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:ohio+careful+out+there+AND)     ...had only one worry after
splashdown. CAREFUL OUT THERE now.'' they told  the.....We don't want anybody
getting hurt OUT THERE. They  brought back with them..
_Frederick Post _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=9qnHh8I+Pl6KID/6NLMW2uFyT3oS99KAdCszz/R3gqBZIluExxHdpEIF+CsZYmrz)  Friday, November  25,
1983 _Frederick,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:frederick+careful+out+there+AND)   _Maryland_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:maryland+careful+out+there+AND)     ...field with the
daily  warning "Let's be CAREFUL OUT THERE." died of  cancer.....cast from
"Hill Street Blues." turned OUT for the  funeral of actor Michael..
_Daily Herald _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=++xTpPwvmwuKID/6NLMW2rqgJovyaDWmMuqfaS5jh2w/xdYPQz7qWEIF+CsZYmrz)  Thursday, June 18,
1987 _Chicago,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:chicago+careful+out+there+AND)   _Illinois_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:illinois+careful+out+there+AND)     ...von wr...you KEEP SOME
EXERCISE.' JUST CAREFUL OUT THERE.' ANP PONT rVANPER  TOO.....party was over
and declarer could turn OUT the lights. He  could f 'o dummy and..

COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC & CHU CHEE TOFU

I've exhausted the East Side, so I've been trying Hell's Kitchen on the  West
Side (Ninth Avenue). There are many Thai and Mexican places.

WHERE DID BARRY POPIK EAT ON SUNDAY?--Seeda ("Exotic, Authentic Thai
Vietnamese Cuisine"), 309 West 50th Street (between 8th and 9th Avenues). The  sign
says it's been around since 1974--old news for a Thai place. It's just
opposite Worldwide Plaza. I mixed it with Vietnamese Spring Rolls and Thai  Vegetable
& Smoked Tofu with Basil. Delicious. About $15. A great  place.

WHERE DID BARRY POPIK EAT ON SATURDAY?--Chanpen Thai Cuisine, 761 9th
Avenue, Corner of West 51st Street. I had Tom Yum soup with Chu Chee Tofu. Also
delicious and under $15. More cafeteria-looking and less exotic than Seeda, but
again, a solid meal.

WHERE DID BARRY POPIK EAT ON FRIDAY?--TA Cocina, Ninth Avenue at 49th
Street. I had black bean soup, then a chimichanga with beans and rice. Just  over
$20. Nothing special about this Mexican place, which also has a takeout  branch
next door. You can't have Mexican every night..

CHU CHEE--1,240 Google hits, 22 Google Group hits
CHU CHI + THAI--1,370 Google hits, 645 Google Groups hits
CHE CHEE + THAI--826 Google hits, 7 Google Groups hits

OED, as usual, doesn't have "chu chee" or "chu chi."

This was be in my great online food dictionary, but I'm still looking for
any damn web designer anywhere in the world.

_Chanpen Restaurant~Fried  Rice~Noodles~Vegetarian_
(http://www.chanpenthai.net/fricenoodlesveg.html)
... vegetables.  Vegetarian Duck Curry With bamboo shoots in red curry. Chu
Chee  Tofu
Sauteed deep fried Tofu in Chu Chee curry and coconut milk.
www.chanpenthai.net/fricenoodlesveg.html - 2k -  Supplemental Result -
_Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:cJu39pKkw7oJ:www.chanpenthai.net/fricenoodlesveg.html+"chu+chee+tofu"&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&q=related:www.chanpenthai.net/f
ricenoodlesveg.html)

_Asian Dinner Ideas_
(http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/browse_frm/thread/3bda2ae2b3ba54f2/1af7821935198b22?q="chu+chee"+Thai&_done=/grou
ps?q="chu+chee"+Thai&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&sa=N&tab=wg&&_doneTitle=Back+
to+Search&&d#1af7821935198b22)
... You can serve  the Thai chu-chee sauce -thick red curry sauce drizzled
with coconut
cream and accented with the fragrant kaffir lime- with almost  any meat; next
_rec.food.cooking_ (http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking)  -
Jan  19 1999, 9:00 pm by Wendymc - 23 messages - 12 authors