"Whole Ball of Wax" (1892)

Fri Dec 17 16:01:51 UTC 2004

Barry offers:
> WHOLE BALL OF WAX
>
>     20 September 1892, GETTYSBURG COMPILER (Gettysburg, PA), pg.
> 1, col. 8:
>   "That's what!" exclaimed the youth, heartily.  "She's the best
> gal in our
> country, and I've had the pick an' choice of all of 'em.  There
> isn't one of
> 'em that wouldn't marry me quicker her wink, but this is my choice
> of the whole
> ball of wax."
>
>    12 November 1911, INDIANAPOLIS STAR, pg. 16, col. 8:
>   And the W. C. T. U. proposed to put the kibosh on the whole
> ball of wax.

Here is a passage that may serve to obfuscate the matter:

        Edward McGrath, 45, . . . [was] one of those drunken loafers,
without home and without employment. . . , and was usually seen half
naked and half drunk about a shanty at 64 Centre street; and used to
run errands for the neighbors, being known by the cognomen of "the ball
of wax."
New York Daily Express, September 9, 1840, p. 2, col. 5

He was found dead, to no one's surprise.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.

"We have seen the best of our time.  Machinations, hollowness,
treachery, and all ruinous disorders follow us disquietly to our
graves."  King Lear, Act 1, scene 2 (Gloucester speaking).