Kibosh

Fri Dec 17 19:33:37 UTC 2004

Mark Mandel:

> Quinion (http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/kibosh.htm)
> attributes this etymology without citation to the Irish poet Padraic
Colum.
(http://www.lib.udel.edu/ud/spec/findaids/colum.htm), and
> whether or not he could even speak the language, he probably knew
more about
> Irish than 98% of the members of this list, and certainly more than
all of us
> in this thread so far put together.

GAT:  Where is Prof. Cassidy now that we really need him?

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.

"We have seen the best of our time.  Machinations, hollowness,
treachery, and all ruinous disorders follow us disquietly to our
graves."  King Lear, Act 1, scene 2 (Gloucester speaking).