cu(?)t

Fri Dec 17 20:17:51 UTC 2004

> At 8:37 PM -0500 12/16/04, Baker, John wrote:
> >         Generally it's supposed that "and" ("her very C's, her U's,
> >'n' her T's") represents the letter N.  However, a poster at
> >http://www.shaksper.net/archives/2002/1676.html asserts that "cut"
> >is a late medieval and Tudor slang word for "cunt," and that he has
> >found it so used in several plays.  Is there any support for this?
> >I am once again traveling and unable to check independently.
> >
> >John Baker

This statement is likely to derive from Courtesans and cuckolds : a
glossary of Renaissance dramatic bawdy (exclusive of Shakespeare) by
James T. Henke, New York : Garland Pub., 1979.  He has one citation,
from Marston's The Malcontent, he Induction, lines 34-39: *** 'twas
Mistress Frank Honeymoon's fortune to have the longest cut ***  {He
gives a fuller context.]

GAT

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.

"We have seen the best of our time.  Machinations, hollowness,
treachery, and all ruinous disorders follow us disquietly to our
graves."  King Lear, Act 1, scene 2 (Gloucester speaking).