Cooling my heels

Marsha Alley marshaalley at MSN.COM
Sat Dec 18 04:12:06 UTC 2004

Wonderful story, JL.  Arnold, I wonder what they would have thought had you thrown "careered" at them along with "careen."  I remember a detailed conversation in 11th grade English class about those two.  I don't think in the (dare I say it?) 40 years since then that I've heard a solitary soul use that word.  Excuse me while I go lilt on my chaise, kinda Camille-like, doncha know.  Tra-la..

Marsha
/hey, it's Friday night....

  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU<mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>>
  Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM<mailto:wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM>>
  Subject:      Re: Cooling my heels

  Picture it:  a classroom at a large state university, 1984.  The topic: "Fern Hill," by Dylan Thomas.

  Me: "Well, what does 'lilting' mean literally?"

  The 25 Freshmen: (Silence.)

  Me: Literally. Ordinarily. What's somebody doing when they're [sic] lilting?

  The 25 Freshmen: (Puzzlement. Silence.)

  Me: I can't believe this. Hasn't anybody heard of a "lilting tune" or a "lilting melody."

  The 25 Freshmen:  ( Puzzlement. Silence.)

  Me: (Puzzlement. Silence.)

  A Freshman: Isn't that like a really sad tune?

  Me: A sad tune? I don't understand. Why would it be a sad tune?

  A Freshman: Well, like flowers lilt when they die?

  Me: (Silence.)

  The 25 Freshmen:  (Silence.)

  As for "cooling one's heels," fawgeddaboudit!

  JL