Cooling my heels

Sat Dec 18 19:29:05 UTC 2004

On Dec 17, 2004, at 8:12 PM, Marsha Alley wrote:

> Wonderful story, JL.  Arnold, I wonder what they would have thought
> had you thrown "careered" at them along with "careen."  I remember a
> detailed conversation in 11th grade English class about those two...

and the beat goes on.  MWDEU has a long entry for "careen, career", and
other usage dictionaries have similar entries.

after his experience with "careen", jacques would have been crazy to
bring up the verb "career".

arnold, still a user of "cool one's heels", not to mention "careen" and
"lilting", but then i'm a pointy-headed academic living in an ivy
tower, out of touch with the real world