second thoughts on Nkinis

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Dec 26 15:38:52 UTC 2004

Mark Mandel writes:
>Jim Landau writes:
>    >>>>>

>an ADS-L member, who I will not cite by name, was I understand once
>suffering chemotherapy for non-Hodgkins's lymphoma.  Said member wrote:
>
>>(who in fact coward 1/3 of the way out of his own 4th B cycle a
>>couple of years ago)
>
>Forsooth!  Dr. non-Hodgkins will be ashamed of you!
>  <<<<<
>
>If you are scolding our colleague for backing out of medical treatment that
>(so far as I know) neither you nor I have had to endure, I have nothing to
>say. If you are commenting on the use of "coward" as a past tense verb, I
>second the motion. If you're complaining about the spelling of the name, I
>also agree, although that's an understandable confusion and IMHO quite
>excusable: the correct "Hodgkin" is much less common than "Hodgkins".

That was my bad.  A simple typo, though, not my usual braino.  I've
probably typed "non-Hodgkin's lymphoma" 150 times over the last two
and a half years and AFAIK never spelled it "Hogkins's" before.  I
think the trick is the apostrophe:  "non-Hodgkins lymphoma" is seen
quite frequently, and from there it's a short (though incorrect)
inference to an eponymous Dr. Hodgkins.

I do think it's only just that I ended up with a form of cancer that
has a negative eponym.  At the same time, it's kind of nice, once in
remission, to have all those nice negative scan results...

Larry